SoFA
Biggles - August 2016
Oh hey, everyone. You stumbled back upon this. I never really wrapped up the revamped site I promised! That's okay though, I think we all moved on. Some truly lasting friendships and a whole fuckton of drama were developed here in a nice slushy 2:3 ratio. Should you care to find me someday, I'm on Steam. Search "bigglesbringsdanoize" and you should bump into my account. Happy travels, stranger!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SoFA
Biggles - August 2016
Oh hey, everyone. You stumbled back upon this. I never really wrapped up the revamped site I promised! That's okay though, I think we all moved on. Some truly lasting friendships and a whole fuckton of drama were developed here in a nice slushy 2:3 ratio. Should you care to find me someday, I'm on Steam. Search "bigglesbringsdanoize" and you should bump into my account. Happy travels, stranger!
SoFA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

That Final Epic Speech I've Been Planning

+9
TrgaDaBest
PetZku
Valerie
Jammer
peacemaker_sanad
Scorex_VII
Felixlynch777
DeadCamper
Biggles
13 posters

Go down

That Final Epic Speech I've Been Planning Empty That Final Epic Speech I've Been Planning

Post by Biggles Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:54 pm

So, I'd like to commence this thing of sorts by paraphrasing your thoughts.

"Oh no!" says you. "Biggles is gonna say something inspirational here! Oh dear, whatever shall I do?"

No. Not this time.

Listen up. Because this is the final stage in my master plan, which I've loosely had all along. This is gonna be a long post, possibly my longest.

I am leaving SoFA.

If that surprised you, it surprised me too. I've been contemplating the idea for a while, but I've given it considerable thought, and decided that now is the perfect time.

Now, the obvious question is why? Why would I do such a thing? Why have I been planning this?

All excellent questions. A few of the answers aren't going to be pretty. They'll change your perception of me. All I can do is take a deep breath and try to explain myself, hoping you'll listen with an open mind.

First off, allow me to dispel a self-perpetuated myth.

I am a leader. I have been all along. I never really wanted to be, but I never saw another person fit for the job. I mean no offense by that remark to any of you, but despite rampant trollery, stupidity, ignorance of what SoFA is about, and having to mediate almost every problem this community has come across, I have tried to be as fair, nonjudgmental, and open as possible.

And I'm sick of it.

I'm sick of the petty drama that so blatantly ignores the principles me and Napkin founded SoFA on.

I'm sick of listening to the "oh, my bad"s when I resolve said drama, only see it repeated a month later.

I'm sick of that drama coming to define this community among the GFAQs community.

The very fact that I am sick of all this suggests to me that I have failed every one of you. Not only because I swore I wouldn't be a leader in the first place, but also because a good leader would take these things, see them as challenges, and run with it.

I'm afraid I wasn't built that way.

When I've said "I'm a nervous wreck" in the past, I was not being hyperbolic. I, in real life, have struggled with a lot. I have a wide range of crippling phobias which have, to my dismay, come to define me. I've been depressed. I've had panic disorder for 5 years now. It's a serious problem that I am still working through today.

Remember when I, way back, said "SoFA is about you"?

It is.

But it was also about me.

This was my attempt, a first step, if you will, at fixing my inability to communicate with the world.

It helped, in case you're curious. I am a stronger person than I was last September. I have a girlfriend who actually loves me, rather then tolerates my existence. I can stand meeting new people. I'm no longer the proverbial "shut-in with two close friends".

But that was selfish of me. It's time I owe up to that.

And those of you wondering why I don't use a mic?

Simple. You'd hear nothing but me stumbling my way through pathetic attempts at conversation. Talking on a phone for anything remotely personal is one of my strangest and strongest phobias.

I'm leaving not for those reasons, however. I could have just admitted my faults, stepped down from my admin position, and that would've been that.

I'm leaving because I have a theory.

I don't think you guys need me anymore.

Every time I log on, I see people working together, be it setting matches up, joking around, just talking, sharing passes to games, whatever. But it's all EXACTLY what I had in mind when I started this thing.

I can't make SoFA any better at this point.

Believe it or not, you guys have proven me wrong in thinking that a community with no leaders will fail. I don't do much here anymore. Lucas, JM, JDM, have all proven to be fantastic admins, better than I could have possibly hoped, and I am proud that the mods we have now have managed to stay fair, even though we're all friends here.

The chat has a similar feel to it.

I feel as though my ideas are not contributing, but rather, holding you guys back. I think, with all of you in on management of SoFA together, you can integrate the community better into decision-making better than me.

These days, when I hop on, I find I'm not the center of attention, but rather a bystander, looking into something far bigger and greater than myself.

That's what I always hoped SoFA could become: the illusive "clan that isn't a clan, but rather a group of friends".

So what will I be doing, without SoFA as a two-hour-per-day distraction?

Well, I'll still be on PSN.

I'll head to GFAQs once in a while.

I'll pop in here now and again, to see how things are going.

And don't think I'm even going to consider de-friending a single one of you.

So I have one last thing to ask of you, my friends.

Don't think this is the end of SoFA.

Far from it. This has been a great nine months, and I'd like to see SoFA flourish to even greater heights in my absence.

I always feared I'd have to leave because SoFA turned out not to be a success. The opposite has proven to be true.

You'll have the same site. You'll have the same irreverant humor. I'll just be somewhere else, doing something (hopefully) equally great.

Remember the basic idea here, that anyone can be a major part of a community, and there is no doubt in my mind that you guys will not only continue the brilliant community we have, but, indeed, make it even better.

Thank you all so much for making this possible. Leader or not, I couldn't have done it alone.

-Chris
Biggles
Biggles
Notorious B.I.G.gles

https://sofaforum.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

That Final Epic Speech I've Been Planning Empty Re: That Final Epic Speech I've Been Planning

Post by DeadCamper Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:24 pm

Happy trails.
DeadCamper
DeadCamper
SoFA 1337
SoFA 1337

http://deadcamper.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

That Final Epic Speech I've Been Planning Empty Re: That Final Epic Speech I've Been Planning

Post by Felixlynch777 Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:27 pm

Wow I'll admit I got a little lump in my chest reading this. Thank you Biggles for everything you've done for us. If I hadn't met the fantastic people in SoFA BC2 would have been long dead to me by now. I respect and understand your decision but I hope you can still help me with what we discussed months ago about really expanding SoFA for BF3. If you want you can help with the maintenance and admining of my idea of a SoFA server for BF3. Smile

Good luck with your life and promise me you'll never forget Chuckles The Wookie.
Felixlynch777
Felixlynch777
SoFA Queen
SoFA Queen

Location : Neuro's rape dungeon/plains of Prussia as a Totenkopfhusaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Scorex_VII Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:04 am

Hmmm, after reading this i cant help but feel a little sadness and guilt at the same time... Im sorry for whatever i may have caused, there is a time for everything, its not like im not used to run away from things <_<
Adios dear Bear, may the Pachacha be with you!
Scorex_VII
Scorex_VII
The Dancing Machine
The Dancing Machine

Back to top Go down

Post by peacemaker_sanad Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:14 am

Why the fuck i have a feeeling this shit is partially my fault, huh?

Will it make you feel better if i gave you the Uncharted 3 MP's beta code?

Also don't leave you'll regret it later on, i do right now, i regretting making that dumb decision of leaving what a mistake, shit!
peacemaker_sanad
peacemaker_sanad
SoFA Sheik

Back to top Go down

Post by Felixlynch777 Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:16 am

Yeah Biggles is there any point leaving? It isn't like SoFA is a big responsibility. I think you are perfect as our unofficial figurehead. Give what I've said a thought mate. Smile

Also Score don't feel guilty, you aren't the only person involved with drama and such you kinky devil XD.
Felixlynch777
Felixlynch777
SoFA Queen
SoFA Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammer Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:10 am

Felixlynch777 wrote:Yeah Biggles is there any point leaving? It isn't like SoFA is a big responsibility. I think you are perfect as our unofficial figurehead. Give what I've said a thought mate. Smile

Also Score don't feel guilty, you aren't the only person involved with drama and such you kinky devil XD.
Did you read the OP?
He mentioned how he's constantly had to solve or resolve issues and drama among SoFA and he has done so repeatedly, many times actually. I'm sure it'd be a much bigger hassle than you think.

Anyway, my response to this topic:
Biggles, this is NOT okay. Not okay at all.
I forbid it, sorry, you can't leave.
Jammer
Jammer
SoFA boss
SoFA boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Felixlynch777 Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:52 am

TBH I wasn't aware of any drama issues lately. I just think Biggles is the proverbial glue that has held us together.
Felixlynch777
Felixlynch777
SoFA Queen
SoFA Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerie Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:43 am

There's a hole in the earth.
Valerie
Valerie
SoFA Queen
SoFA Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by PetZku Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:17 am

mr biggles here is a epic song for your epic final speech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsl01e4hkbY&feature=related

(even though I've never played with you or anything but I just had to put some epic song with this speech, hope it doesnt offend)
PetZku
PetZku
SoFA Pro
SoFA Pro

Back to top Go down

Post by TrgaDaBest Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:55 am

Your speech confuses me, because at first you seem very disappointed with Sofa, and then later you seem to be proud... I hope that I have not been contributing to the former...
If you are serious about leaving then I respect it, although I think you may be overthinking this right now.
Also, I give you a lot of credit for explaining some of your personal life difficulties on here, something I am not comfortable doing myself...
I'm sure I'll talk to you sooner or later, and you know I'll be here for BF3...
TrgaDaBest
TrgaDaBest
SoFA Pro
SoFA Pro

Back to top Go down

Post by Scorex_VII Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:15 am

Jammer wrote:Did you read the OP?
He mentioned how he's constantly had to solve or resolve issues and drama among SoFA and he has done so repeatedly, many times actually. I'm sure it'd be a much bigger hassle than you think.

For some reason i felt that like a punch in the stomach. I have a solution for that in fact, worked everytime with my life...
*Runs away*
Scorex_VII
Scorex_VII
The Dancing Machine
The Dancing Machine

Back to top Go down

Post by BeazelWeasel Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:21 am

I feel that the reason some of you are feeling guilty is because that's our general consensus of us as a community.
I too feel guilty, somewhat. We all contributed to this community of ours, be it in a good way, a bad way, or both, so I don't think it's a strange feeling. Unless you tell me I'm being guilty of not caring so much about the mistakes and errors.

Biggles, if you want to leave, fine, but is that really what you want? Just because suddenly you're not the 'center of attention' anymore doesn't mean we don't want you around. You don't have to be leader; as you said, the people you have entrusted as admins and caretakers are indeed treating the community well.

You should really stick with us. You want to step in and help finish a convo? That's fine, but don't feel like doing it is your obligation, 'cause it isn't if you don't want it to. Mr. NotLucas, for example, has shown himself being impartial and working around the problems brought up in the forums like his wifey works on her rock hard pecks; that is, very efficiently. Razz And that's awesome, considering, like you said, that we're one big group of friends, or gaming butt buddies, however you sick people want to put it. Cool

And guess what happens when someone like you, one who has brought all of us together, leader or no leader, leaves?

Well, to be honest, I don't know for sure, but I didn't want to write down a witty comment, because, as far as I know, that's one of your works of magic, dude.
afro
BeazelWeasel
BeazelWeasel
SoFA Expert
SoFA Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Biggles Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:13 am

Well, it's nice to know I mean so much to so many of you.

And I think I'm going to have to take back the "I'm leaving SoFA" thing as a result. It wouldn't be fair of me, since no one apparently thinks it's a good idea.

But if I'm going to stay, I want to rescind my status as "thinly veiled leader."

I don't wanna manage any of it.

I don't have the time anymore.

And even then, don't expect to see me much, unless you use the chat. I'm done with forums. Too much energy goes into maintaining them.

And Beazel, it's not that I'm disappointed that I'm not the center of attention. To be honest, I prefer it that way.

So I guess I'm half-leaving.

I'm done leading. But if you guys want me here simply as a person...

Then I'll sit back, and watch the community expand into BF3 under the far-more-qualified leadership of... well... everybody.

Time to see what happens when SoFA works the way I intended it back in September.
Biggles
Biggles
Notorious B.I.G.gles

https://sofaforum.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadCamper Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:39 am

What you explained above is how I've seen you anyway.
DeadCamper
DeadCamper
SoFA 1337
SoFA 1337

http://deadcamper.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by ananthaval Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 pm

Good to hear ur staying biggles. Ur one of the most entertaining ppl in SoFA. Smile
ananthaval
ananthaval
SoFA Pro
SoFA Pro

Back to top Go down

Post by Twintower415 Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:30 pm

Biggles not leaving confirmed!
Twintower415
Twintower415
SoFA Expert
SoFA Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammer Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:25 pm

See? Told you Biggles wasn't leaving.
You all should listen to me more.
Jammer
Jammer
SoFA boss
SoFA boss

Back to top Go down

Post by Felixlynch777 Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:19 pm

What sorcery have you performed to make Biggles stay JM? Avian Assault methinks.

And good to hear Biggles. I take it the All Knowing Biggles thread is over.
Felixlynch777
Felixlynch777
SoFA Queen
SoFA Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Scorex_VII Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:51 am

Jammer wrote:See? Told you Biggles wasn't leaving.
You all should listen to me more.

Hmm, i know my netbook doesnt have sound, but im pretty sure i could not still hear you, even if im using my laptop...
Razz
Scorex_VII
Scorex_VII
The Dancing Machine
The Dancing Machine

Back to top Go down

Post by Trone_Colby Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Wow. I just notice this thread. Well since everyone said the things I would have said, I'll just say this....

IF YOU EVER LEAVE MOTHERFUCKER, YOU WILL GET

KNIFED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111oneelevenone!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111
Trone_Colby
Trone_Colby
SoFA Pro
SoFA Pro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down