SoFA
Biggles - August 2016
Oh hey, everyone. You stumbled back upon this. I never really wrapped up the revamped site I promised! That's okay though, I think we all moved on. Some truly lasting friendships and a whole fuckton of drama were developed here in a nice slushy 2:3 ratio. Should you care to find me someday, I'm on Steam. Search "bigglesbringsdanoize" and you should bump into my account. Happy travels, stranger!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SoFA
Biggles - August 2016
Oh hey, everyone. You stumbled back upon this. I never really wrapped up the revamped site I promised! That's okay though, I think we all moved on. Some truly lasting friendships and a whole fuckton of drama were developed here in a nice slushy 2:3 ratio. Should you care to find me someday, I'm on Steam. Search "bigglesbringsdanoize" and you should bump into my account. Happy travels, stranger!
SoFA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The next Playstation might be called Orbis

+2
Felixlynch777
DeadCamper
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The next Playstation might be called Orbis Empty The next Playstation might be called Orbis

Post by DeadCamper Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:01 pm

"The Next PlayStation is Called Orbis, Sources Say. Here are the Details.

While the official reveal of Sony's next home console could still be months away, if not longer, Kotaku has today learned some important details concerning the PlayStation 3's successor.

For one, the console's name—or at least its codename/working title—is apparently Orbis. And it's being planned for release in time for the 2013 holiday season.

The details in this story come from a reliable source who is not authorized to talk publicly about next-gen hardware but has shared correct information with us before. What they're telling us in specifics matches much of what we've heard and reported in generalities in recent weeks.

A Sony spokesperson declined to comment about these details, citing the company's policy not to comment on "rumors or speculation."

WHAT'S IN A NAME

Orbis. Say it out loud. Sounds a little like the word "four", doesn't it? Only it doesn't make the next PlayStation sound like a bad horror movie sequel.

It's also a name loaded with meaning. The word "Orbis" itself, from Latin, means circle, or ring, or even orbit. Not terribly helpful. Combine it with the name of Sony's new handheld system, though, and you have the common term Orbis Vita (or, in strict Latin, Orbis Vitae). Which means "The circle of life". Could the Vita be playing a very important role in the development and use of the next PlayStation home console? Maybe!

Such symbolism also suggests that rather than being a codename, like most companies employ when still developing a console (think NGP, or Durango), this might actually be the machine's final name. We don't know that, though, so keep an open mind about things.

CURRENT SPECS

Our main source supplied some basic specs for the console, but as the future is always in motion, bear in mind these could easily change between now and the Orbis' retail release. Still, if you'd like to know what developers are being told to plan for now, here you go.

AMD x64 CPU
AMD Southern Islands GPU
The former, that's largely something we've heard before, but the latter is interesting. That's the name given to many of AMD's 2012 roster of high-end PC cards. The PS4's GPU in particular, we're told, will be capable of displaying Orbis games at a resolution of up to 4096x2160, which is far in excess of the needs of most current HDTV sets. It'll also be capable of playing 3D games in 1080p (the PS3 could only safely manage 3D at 720p).

NEXT YEAR

Our main source tell us that "select developers" have been receiving dev kits for the new console since the beginning of this year. Revised and improved versions of these kits were sent out around GDC, while more finalised beta units will be shipped to developers towards the end of 2012.

That should hopefully give developers plenty of time to have launch games ready for the Orbis' retail release, which will be in time for the 2013 holiday season. If you can remember the PS3 launch—it's OK if you can't, it was a while ago—that too was in time for the holiday shopping season (November 2006 for Japan and North America).

SO LONG, PS3 GAMES

Remember how the PlayStation 3 swiftly dropped the ability to play PS2 games? Well, our main source tell us the Orbis won't even bother, and that Sony has no plans to offer backwards compatibility for its existing catalogue of PS3 games.

SO LONG, USED GAMES

Just like the next Xbox/Durango, we've heard from multiple sources that the Orbis will likewise have some kind of anti-used games measures built into the console. Here's how our main source says it's currently shaping up: new games for the system will be available one of two ways, either on a Blu-Ray disc or as a PSN download (yes, even full retail titles). If you buy the disc, it must be locked to a single PSN account, after which you can play the game, save the whole thing to your HDD, or peg it as "downloaded" in your account history and be free to download it at a later date.

Don't think you can simply buy the disc and stay offline, though; like many PC games these days, you'll need to have a PSN account and be online to even get the thing started.

If you then decide to trade that disc in, the pre-owned customer picking it up will be limited in what they can do. While our sources were unclear on how exactly the pre-owned customer side of things would work, it's believed used games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game.

This would allow used games to continue to be sold at outlets such as GameStop, while also appeasing major publishers who would no longer have to implement their own haphazard approaches to "online passes".

—-

That's all we've got for you at the moment. Remember, none of this information is confirmed, and even the information that is locked down in March 2012 may change before the console's eventual release. This is just what we've been told Sony is working on and planning for as of today. That being the case, how do you think it's shaping up?"

Kotaku:
http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-are-the-details?utm_source=Kotaku+Newsletter&utm_campaign=85b7812aa2-UA-142218-8&utm_medium=email

Last edited by DeadCamper on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeadCamper
DeadCamper
SoFA 1337
SoFA 1337

http://deadcamper.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

The next Playstation might be called Orbis Empty Re: The next Playstation might be called Orbis

Post by Felixlynch777 Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:16 pm

Thanks for posting, very interesting. My thoughts:

I'd be very surprised if the GPU is a part of the ATI Southern Islands family. Sony has always used nVidia cards but big companies switching isn't unknown as Apple recently switched so it could be. These cards came out very recently. I suppose it could be possible with the ATI 7770 being the likely choice, which currently retails for $130.

It'd be a bit of a let-down if backwards compatibility wasn't included.

The whole issue of content delivery/used games will be interesting to see unfold. If what is said above is true then it'd be quite a gamble, since a sizeable amount of PS3s aren't connected to PSN at all. Sony's PSN store will be a much larger focus I reckon.

All in all though I hope the new consoles are coming out soon, 2014 is too late so 2013 would be great. I've already set aside some moniez for the WiiU so bring on the Orbit!
Felixlynch777
Felixlynch777
SoFA Queen
SoFA Queen

Location : Neuro's rape dungeon/plains of Prussia as a Totenkopfhusaren

Back to top Go down

The next Playstation might be called Orbis Empty Re: The next Playstation might be called Orbis

Post by RatedStinger Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:26 pm

The part about no backwards compatibility doesn't sound good. It's almost guaranteed that the gaming library for this Orbis won't be well established until about a year after release, in addition to the probability that most people who buy the console at launch will barely have enough for one game. And who knows how annoying it may be to switch between the two consoles? Not everyone has that ideal home theater setup.
RatedStinger
RatedStinger
SoFA Expert
SoFA Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadCamper Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:30 pm

If we look at it from their perspective, what are the benefits for them to not have backwards compatibility? Obviously one of the negative effects is that consumers will be disappointed, which is of concern for a company for their own sake.
When PS3 dropped it's backwards compatibility it was said that it was because Sony wanted to keep selling PS2's, do you think this is the case here as well?

And I assume PSN will stay somewhat the same and we'll all keep our accounts?
DeadCamper
DeadCamper
SoFA 1337
SoFA 1337

Back to top Go down

Post by Felixlynch777 Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:41 pm

The reason they cut backwards compatibility was two-fold:

1: The PS2 was (still does) selling very well. And unlike the PS3, Sony turns a profit with every PS2 sold. Same reason the Wii has been so successful as it makes a profit with every unit sold. So more PS2s being sold was better for Sony. Take a look at their quarterly financial statements and you'll see they've been making a loss since about 2008. The PS2 was some easy cash.

2: The emulator needed to run PS2 games was expensive. Getting rid of it helped the PS3 get rid of its "$599 US Dollars" tag and compete with the 360. Far and away this gen was won by Nintendo though.
Felixlynch777
Felixlynch777
SoFA Queen
SoFA Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadCamper Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:51 pm

Still, you could also argue that you lose profit because people feel reluctant to buy your product in the first place because it doesn't have backwards compatibility. The classic situation where you have a shelf full of games that you're now expected to abandon, buy a new console, and start all over. That transition is made light years easier if the new console also plays your not-so-old games, and could perhaps lead to much better sales.
DeadCamper
DeadCamper
SoFA 1337
SoFA 1337

Back to top Go down

Post by Felixlynch777 Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Oh I was just referring to the case of the PS3/PS2. If what the article says is true, then it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Whilst we are on the subject is anyone else getting a WiiU? Razz

Felixlynch777
Felixlynch777
SoFA Queen
SoFA Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadCamper Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:56 pm

Imagine if you had to throw away all your games every time you bought a new PC or upgraded the one you had. Or, in order to play your older games you'd have to have several old PCs at home in your closet. :S
DeadCamper
DeadCamper
SoFA 1337
SoFA 1337

Back to top Go down

Post by Felixlynch777 Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:03 pm

Lol I've got Ultima IV from 1984 (year of my birth!!1!!1) installed on this thing Cool. I do hope it has backwards compatibility of course. Red Dead Redemption needs to be played (emo).
Felixlynch777
Felixlynch777
SoFA Queen
SoFA Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammer Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:11 pm

The title may cause confusion, technically speaking, it's simply the working title/codename, not necessarily the final name.

Anyway, I skimmed through this earlier when Kenny showed me. The lack of attempt to even bother with backwards compatibility seems kind of disappointing.

The have the be online thing seems kind of annoying also.
Jammer
Jammer
SoFA boss
SoFA boss

Back to top Go down

Post by cincy Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:17 pm

LMFAO @ WiiU... Felix, i r disappoint.
cincy
cincy
SoFA Pro
SoFA Pro

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadCamper Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:32 pm

Jammer wrote:The title may cause confusion, technically speaking, it's simply the working title/codename, not necessarily the final name.
Well, they address this in the article, "Such symbolism also suggests that rather than being a codename, like most companies employ when still developing a console (think NGP, or Durango), this might actually be the machine's final name. We don't know that, though, so keep an open mind about things." etc, and I assume any person with half a brain actually reads the article and doesn't base his information on a title.
DeadCamper
DeadCamper
SoFA 1337
SoFA 1337

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammer Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:01 pm

Eh, I guess that was the name of the article in the first place, but I just think a title shouldn't be even some-what misleading.
Jammer
Jammer
SoFA boss
SoFA boss

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadCamper Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:22 pm

Edited it.
DeadCamper
DeadCamper
SoFA 1337
SoFA 1337

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammer Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:06 pm

Well that surprised me, thanks. Ha.
Jammer
Jammer
SoFA boss
SoFA boss

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadCamper Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:09 pm

Just when you think I'll zig, I'll zag.
DeadCamper
DeadCamper
SoFA 1337
SoFA 1337

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammer Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:31 pm

Would you zig again after a zig just because one might expect a zag after a zig, but no one would expect a zig follow-up on a zig?
Jammer
Jammer
SoFA boss
SoFA boss

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadCamper Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:36 pm

I might take it a step further and still zag, foreseeing your type of reasoning. Or yet a step beyond that and zig. And at any time I could reset and go back to basics. You never know.
DeadCamper
DeadCamper
SoFA 1337
SoFA 1337

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammer Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:33 am

Damn, that's intense. Wouldn't want to be the one to have to deaal with your zig-zig-zag-zig-zag-zig-zig-zig type tactics.
Jammer
Jammer
SoFA boss
SoFA boss

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadCamper Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:39 am

On the other hand I can apparently only zig or zag, so... well... that's not really too much of a masterplan is it? I mean you could just guess and have a 50/50 chance.
DeadCamper
DeadCamper
SoFA 1337
SoFA 1337

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerie Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:42 am

Sicksack!

Uh, and I am never calling the PS4 anything but the PS4, especially if it has some queer name like "Orbis". Razz
Valerie
Valerie
SoFA Queen
SoFA Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by Felixlynch777 Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:47 am

@Cincy I buy pretty much every console. Plus I think Nintendo has the best exclusives.

The next Playstation might be called Orbis X51g9i
Felixlynch777
Felixlynch777
SoFA Queen
SoFA Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadCamper Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:51 am

I'm a poor kid though actually, can't afford to be a god.
DeadCamper
DeadCamper
SoFA 1337
SoFA 1337

Back to top Go down

Post by Felixlynch777 Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:56 am

Come out of retirement as a bounty hunter/viking hitman and you'll be overflowing in cash.
Felixlynch777
Felixlynch777
SoFA Queen
SoFA Queen

Back to top Go down

Post by DeadCamper Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:58 am

Not easy being a white male these days.

>_>
DeadCamper
DeadCamper
SoFA 1337
SoFA 1337

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next