SoFA
Biggles - August 2016
Oh hey, everyone. You stumbled back upon this. I never really wrapped up the revamped site I promised! That's okay though, I think we all moved on. Some truly lasting friendships and a whole fuckton of drama were developed here in a nice slushy 2:3 ratio. Should you care to find me someday, I'm on Steam. Search "bigglesbringsdanoize" and you should bump into my account. Happy travels, stranger!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

SoFA
Biggles - August 2016
Oh hey, everyone. You stumbled back upon this. I never really wrapped up the revamped site I promised! That's okay though, I think we all moved on. Some truly lasting friendships and a whole fuckton of drama were developed here in a nice slushy 2:3 ratio. Should you care to find me someday, I'm on Steam. Search "bigglesbringsdanoize" and you should bump into my account. Happy travels, stranger!
SoFA
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The times, they are a-changing

5 posters

Go down

The times, they are a-changing Empty The times, they are a-changing

Post by Biggles Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:22 pm

So as some of you know, I'm majoring in computer software engineering, which is a fancy way to say "I NO PURGRAMS HURRRR".

I bring this up because, as a limited handful of you know, I've been working on a website. I don't know enough to implement the serverside scripting yet that would make it fully interactive, but I have a very basic framework up. It's nothing I could show you people yet without getting all embarrassed, but it's a start. I have, in place, a system very much like the one here at forumotion, so that I can make posts without editing lines of code, instead, it's a quick copy and paste job. And, I'm proud to say, the 2000-lines-or-so of combined HTML/CSS/Javascript I have were typed by hand, making me a true artisan web developer. So it's kinda like that hippie-ish bakery that charges you $6 for a loaf of bread that tastes like cardboard. But at least it's salt-free.

It is a gaming website... but not quite. I think the best way to describe it would be "if wikipedia and kotaku had some sick lovechild". I don't want to get into details too much, because I have a few technologies under development that I think I could honestly patent (and holy fuck, do I need that kind of money >_>) but I just wanted to ask a simple question or two, I guess, for my personal benefit.

1. What pisses you off about the typical game site?

2. How would you rather it be?

Broad, indeed, but I'm honestly wondering. We're a small group here now, but since you peoples helped me make this place great, I wanted to offer you the chance to weigh in on what I should focus on, and avoid.

Who knows, I might even listen. ; )
Biggles
Biggles
Notorious B.I.G.gles

https://sofaforum.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

The times, they are a-changing Empty Re: The times, they are a-changing

Post by Felixlynch777 Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:07 pm

The typical game site is dull, never takes a stand on any issue and has no opinion. I'd like something the opposite of that.
Felixlynch777
Felixlynch777
SoFA Queen
SoFA Queen

Location : Neuro's rape dungeon/plains of Prussia as a Totenkopfhusaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Omnirock Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:24 pm

just going to say patenting software technology is lame, it stifles development, and is a barrier in a lot of innovation... patents work well in traditional industries, not so much in software (artisan hippy my ass).

that said, i don't feel as though you should go un-rewarded for your work.

On topic: as much as i enjoy games, i'm not really into browsing gaming sites much. mostly because they don't appeal to me or my demographic.

Things that would appeal to me in a gaming site: Stories of development in older titles/franchises, PC hardware reviews, classic gaming spotlights/nights, mod focuses... i know i'm in a minority on a lot of that, but you asked Wink
Omnirock
Omnirock
SoFA Expert
SoFA Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by palto1826 Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:38 pm

nice biggles...gaming sites its hard to say what i like in a certain thing but i sure like to critique them when i see something that should have been better Razz ...i do enjoy bouncing ideas around too so if you got any questions feel free to ask...reviews are always fun but not a fan of very technical reviews...i like the ones that boil down to whether the game was enjoyable for the reviewer...ive always been a fan of the zero punctuation reviews, even though they have become stale and very similar, i still like them because he has no problems focusing on what is bad about the game
palto1826
palto1826
SoFA Expert
SoFA Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Twintower415 Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:35 pm

To be honest I only go to gamespot to look at the forums.. That's it
Twintower415
Twintower415
SoFA Expert
SoFA Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Felixlynch777 Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:58 pm

I'm an old fashioned guy...and read PC Gamer in the magazine section of the supermarket as the missus does the shopping. Neutral
Felixlynch777
Felixlynch777
SoFA Queen
SoFA Queen

Location : Neuro's rape dungeon/plains of Prussia as a Totenkopfhusaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum